Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Birth Story

Nash is here! He was born on Sunday November 29th, 2009 at 805 in the morning after a marathon labor and delivery. We arrived at the hospital on Friday afternoon around 4 for an induction because we thought he was going to be a big boy. I was induced overnight on my very same floor that I work on! It was a bizarre feeling being a patient! I didn't sleep much that night because I was too busy watching the monitors the entire time making sure that he was ok. We tranferred down to labor and delivery around 5 am and they started the pitocin-the medicine to make me contract- around 530 that morning. Around 1030 the doc broke my water. About 1230 I decided that getting an epidural might relax me enough to progress things a little more quickly so we got that taken care of. Thats when things just came to a screeching halt and we labored and labored and labored some more. Finally around 4 in the morning they told us it was time to start pushing. By this time I had developed a fever because my water had been broken for so long so it was making his little heart rate high. After the nurse was ok with his heartrate we began pushing around 540 in the morning. I proceeded to push for the next few hours continuing through the shift change and into the morning. I didn't think I had anything left in me by this point. I hadn't eaten since Friday evening and had slept a total of maybe 3-4 hours since then, but my nurses cheered me on. Around 7am I noticed that I started feeing a lot more pain, which I thought was just normal but right before delivery we finally discovered that my epidural wasn't working anymore so like it or not I got to discover childbirth the good ole fashioned way--without any pain meds. As soon as we saw eachother I completely forgot about everything that had happened and it was love at first sight. Nash ended up needed IV antibiotics due to my high fever during labor, which broke my heart seeing his little hand taped down and him not being able to use it or touch me in any way.

He is such a good baby. I know everyone thinks that their baby is good, but so far he is just precious. He hardly ever cries and settles down very quickly when he does get upset. We have our first pedi appt tomorrow, which I hope goes well. They wanted to see him fairly quickly because of him being on the medication while we were in the hospital.

here are just a few of the billions of pics we have! enjoy

1 comment:

  1. i'm in love!!!!!!!!! our boys are almost 11 months apart! i HAVE to come visit you and see him soon. what does your wednesday look like next week?

    ReplyDelete